Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB)
Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity organization providing a fully-sponsored training in traditional French bakery to underprivileged Chinese youth aged 17 to 23, enabling them to find qualified jobs and lead independent lives after graduation.
Launched in February 2009, sponsored by various corporations, SYB’s one-year training combines intensive classes in both French and Chinese bakery, with practical internships at 5-star hotels. After completing the program, the 32 students can then obtain employment opportunities in bakeries or hotels in Shanghai and all across China.
In order to increase its financial stability, since 2011 SYB runs a social enterprise, which sells bakery classes, bread & pastry catering, and technical consulting services to individuals and companies wishing to contribute to the success and sustainability of the program. All proceeds are used to fund the charity training program.
SYB is managed by a dynamic French-Chinese team and operates under the governance of Chi Heng Foundation.
The full-time Executive Director leads and manages the operational and strategic aspects of the organization in coordination with the program stakeholders. S/he sets the long-term vision and takes responsibility for the construction, implementation and growth of the program, with its purpose, mission, and strategy as guiding principles.
The Executive Director should work towards maximizing the students’ training opportunities and facilitating their integration into the working world, in particular by ensuring (1) the charity nature of the program, (2) the high quality of the training, and (3) the long-term sustainability of the organization.
- Provide direction and leadership in the achievement of SYB’s social mission
- Set the vision and landmarks for the next five years, lead planning and implementation
- Manage and develop team members (8-10 full-time staff + 3-5 office interns/volunteers); build a dynamic and nurturing work culture that attracts, retains, and motivates all to grow and contribute
- Coordinate relations with program partners as well as sponsors and operational partners
- Oversee use of material and financial resources, decide on potential investments, and ensure economic viability
- Drive corporate partnerships, fundraising efforts and new income opportunities
- Secures sufficient financial resources for the program through fundraising actions, sponsorship proposals, service partnerships, in-kind donations and other appropriate methods; nurture all ensuing relationships; help design and implement appropriate CSR strategies
- Represent SYB and promote cooperation opportunities at meetings and events
- Lead the Social Enterprise component of the organization
- Define and implement professional standards, appropriate marketing and efficient strategy to ensure an increase of commercial revenue while safekeeping the organization’s social priorities
- Manage the Social Enterprise team and supervise all commercial activities (public bakery classes, corporate teambuilding workshops, catering, technical consulting)
- Oversee implementation of the students training
- Supervise training program organization and implementation
- Evaluate training quality and lead improvements
- Spearhead external communication strategy
- Define and lead the external communication strategy
- Take responsibility for the design and content of all offline and online communication material
- Ensure promotion of the program and sponsors’ visibility
- Arbitrate on program’s participation in bakery-related events and focused social gatherings
- Ensure the growth and long-term sustainability of the organization
- Oversee the return of our two graduates currently in France to be trained as SYB teachers, and support the transition into their new role (June-September); lead the selection of two new graduates/students to be trained as SYB’s future bakery trainers.
- Ensure high quality standards at the SYB Baking Centre to support the professional as well as commercial developments of the program; look over the renovation works (July-August) and follow up on proper arrangements and use of the space.
- Review ongoing graduates’ survey analysis and reports, and take appropriate measures to follow through with continuous Monitoring & Evaluation work.
- Support ongoing “Proof of Concept” feasibility study to evaluate opportunity in setting up an incubator that will increase SYB’s social impact by training other organizations to set up and develop their own social bakery program. Drive the ensuing development and scaling up plans.
- Look into strengthening SYB’s governance, notably with the set up of a specific board or management committee to actively support the mission.
- Dedication to work in a growing multi-cultural non-profit organization with a strong interest in social enterprise development. Committed to making a difference.
- Ability to lead, influence, and make operational and strategic decisions to drive the program as a high-quality, sustainable social model.
- Strong working knowledge in English, Mandarin, and ideally French (ex: able to effectively lead meetings in any of these languages)
- High autonomy and sense of responsibility
- 5-10 years proven experience of program management in a multi-cultural setting. Good knowledge of Chinese culture and working environment.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Interest in the food/bakery industry.
- Full-time 3-year work contract, renewable
- Location: Shanghai
- Office work: Chi Heng Foundation Shanghai office （长寿路武宁路）
- Events/training operations: SYB Baking Centre （普陀区绥德路889号）
- Base salary in line with nonprofit standards + fixed bonus depending on qualifications, experience, dedication and ability to increase the organization’s financial viability.
Please send us your application (CV + cover email) on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.